Official announcement of Java and the GPL

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at
Mon Nov 13 12:18:47 MST 2006

On 11/13/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at> wrote:
> I'm sure a similar API could be developed.  But there's one big feature
> lacking in Java that would make a straight API port difficult:
> delegates.  WinForms and every other GUI toolkit I've seen on c# relies
> heavily on them for event handling.  The Java api would need a ton of
> listener classes, like what Java-Gnome does.  Works but could not be a
> straight port; some assembly would be required.

:-( good point.  Using annonymous inner-classes works just like a
delegate, but it's more crufty code, and would throw people off when
porting their code from C# to Java.  I believe that delegates and
closures are being added to Java 7.  Maybe this project would have to
be developed in concert with that release of Java.