Official announcement of Java and the GPL

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:56:52 MST 2006

On 11/13/06, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> This is indeed great news and makes RedHat very very happy, as they have
> started to embrace Java, with the GNU gcj and classpath system.  I also
> note that RedHat's lawyers are still okay with them distributing Mono in
> Fedora Core (only a few gnome apps are C#, and they aren't core), as
> they believe that MS's patents largely do not cover the parts of the
> EMCA standard that gnome apps use (IE they don't use ASP.net, etc).

I wonder if Sun will cozy up with Red Hat.  They have directly
competing products:  Linux (GPL) and Solaris (CDDL), JBoss (GPL) and
Glassfish (CDDL), etc.  But if Sun decides they are a hardware company
again, they may want to strengthen ties with Red Hat to augment their
own offerings.  Giving customers more choice.  I don't know.  If they
were at odds with Red Hat (and Novell) it seems like they would have
avoided releasing Java as GPL.  This is a big win for Red Hat.  There
are a lot of innovators there (and at Novell, Oracle, etc), who will
likely take Java and make it even better.  Seems like a win-win for
everyone involved.

It's a shame that there is legal concern around mono's Microsoft
compatible stack.  I saw the release notes about Mono 2.0 -- pretty
sweet.  WinForm support seems like a "killer app".  How sweet would
that be to have nearly every WinForms app developed for Windows
runnable on Linux.  That would be huge.  Sadly there is the legal
concern that MS will sue you blind if you do so.  Hopefully, someone
will make a WinForms compatible API for Java (something that would
wrap Swing or SWT or both).  Maybe I'll do that :-).

-Bryan