Teaching programming concepts to kids

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Nov 11 23:11:27 MST 2006

Daniel C. wrote:
> I started programming in 4th grade using Logo Writer.  The Logo Wiki
> that was linked to runs what appears at first glance to be the same
> language.  I recommend using it as a first step in teaching
> programming.  The language is simple, powerful, and interactive.

I remember using Logo Writer in grade school in Texas on what I believe
were Apple II computers. We had so few of them that we were assigned 2
kids to a computer. My partner, Michael Blackwell (How did I just
remember that?!), and I decided to see what would happen if we wrote a
loop that would run 1,000 times. After about 3 minutes, the turtle had
drawn a bean-shaped solid blob. That's when the teacher saw what we had
done and told us both to go sit in the hall, since we had "abused our
computer lab privileges". What a way to encourage young minds!

--Dave