Teaching programming concepts to kids

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Sat Nov 11 10:29:07 MST 2006

Dave:

> I got into programming during high school math class on my TI-82's
> BASIC. It was great for one reason: it was limited. The last thing you
> want a newcomer to learn is the entire Java API or the C++ Standard
> Library, when all they want to do is write a text-based game.

I have 3 boys, ages 10, 8 and 6. I'd love to find something that would 1)
teach them how to touch-type, and 2) introduce them to programming (though
keep in mind, the extent of my programming is the VCR controller, the
microwave, the controls in the car for everything and a few scripts and
other configuration files scattered throughout my debian installation).

How do I pry my boys away from puff games on the net and the x-box and
playstation and convince them they could be writing the programs on those
platforms instead of just playing them?

Scott