OT - Re: GPL Java

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Nov 10 10:12:48 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:21:39PM -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:

> I would ask the question, what is it about /trashing/ Java that is so
> important to you?

Java is popular.  That's why people love to hate it.  Big slow, evil
proprietary software using and producing companies uset it a lot.
Never mind that it's the right tool for the job, it's guilt by
association.

> Anyway, it just bugs me when I see negative comments about Java that
> aren't based in demonstrable fact.

Same here.  Some of my (recent) favorites are:

"I worked at this company where they spent all their time in meetings.
And they use Java.  Java sucks."

"Java and J2EE encourage you to use threads and threads are scary.
Java sucks"

I hadn't seen the "Java is very class-oriented and consistent in that.
Java sucks." before.

At least the last one is a defensible stylistic preference, like
saying lisp is bad because of all the parens (note that I'M NOT saying
that, just saying that it's analogous).

I program in Java, C, C++, python, C# and perl for work.  I frequently
stop myself from pointing out demonstrably untrue positive and
negative assertions about more than one of these languages on this
list and elsewhere.  Except perl.  I'm a recently recovered perl hater
and there are people way more qualified than me to bash and and defend
it.

Barry Roberts