OT - Re: GPL Java

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:21:39 MST 2006

On 11/9/06, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Bryan Sant wrote:
> > Java's dominance isn't my opinion, it just is.
>
> Your arguments are sensible, but there's one thing I don't understand:
> why is it important to you to defend Java?  You're obviously a capable
> coder and designer, and you'd be proficient in plenty other languages.
> Your future hardly depends on Java.  So again, why is Java so important
> to you?

I never planned on getting into the defend-java-to-the-death business.
I came into Java kicking and screaming from the C/C++ world.  I came
with a bad attitude about the whole thing, but over time of using it
to produce successful software projects, I found that nearly every
negative thing that I hear about java was either flat out false or at
least highly exaggerated.  I gave it an honest chance, and now *I*
consider it to be the best and most complete development platform
today (you may not, and that's fine).

I would ask the question, what is it about /trashing/ Java that is so
important to you?  Not you in particular Shane, but anyone who doesn't
like it.  So you don't like it.  I don't like php, but I don't try to
defame it with lies or exaggerations at every chance.  I don't have a
little signature that says, "C++ is crap, PHP is even worse".

Anyway, it just bugs me when I see negative comments about Java that
aren't based in demonstrable fact.  As they say, everyone is entitled
to his own opinions, but not his own facts.  When you look at facts,
Java is a great language.  At the very least, it's as worthy as the
next language.

-Bryan