OT - Re: GPL Java

Ross Werner rosswerner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 09:16:22 MST 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:29:36 -0800, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Ross Werner wrote:
>> I see it as being the difference between object-oriented programming
>> and procedural program. If you're in a procedural world, you're going
>> to be dominated by verbs. If you're in an object-oriented world, you're
>> going to be dominated by nouns.
>
> This is not necessarily the case. ...
> Kay has since said that he began to regret the name 'object oriented'
> almost immediately, because he believes the focus should be more on the
> messages than the objects themselves.  This philosophy can be seen in
> Smalltalk and its successors such as Ruby, which are far more concerned
> with behavior than name.

I'm still not convinced. I'd love to see some production Smalltalk or Ruby
code that is object-oriented that is less noun-oriented than its Java
counterpart would be. The examples in the article are, of course,
exaggerations, and neither production Java or Smalltalk or Ruby code would
really look like that. But they would definitely be more "noun-oriented"
than equivalent procedural code.

> And you didn't even mention functional languages.

Okay, object-oriented programming is noun-dominated, procedural
programming is verb-dominated, and functional programming is
parentheses-dominated. Happy now? ;)

	~ Ross