OT - Re: GPL Java

Ross Werner rosswerner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 21:03:28 MST 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:33:27 -0800, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
>> As for myself, I've always disliked Java.  Hated it really.  Then
>> someone showed me a web page that helped me realize why:
>>
>> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html
>
> There's a lot of truth in that article.  It's not as if Java is wart
> free, and if you don't like it, then you don't like it.

I see it as being the difference between object-oriented programming and
procedural program. If you're in a procedural world, you're going to be
dominated by verbs. If you're in an object-oriented world, you're going to
be dominated by nouns. Ends up being a matter of taste, IMO. But I doubt
you could find an object-oriented language that couldn't have most of the
same said about it (except for the verbosity ... Java is *definitely*
verbose, and again, non disputandum ... I for some strange reason happen
to like it).

	~ Ross