OT - Re: GPL Java

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Nov 9 18:57:02 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:33 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Ya, you should stick with BASIC.

Interesting to hear you should say that after your comments about
feeling the need to always defend Java from ill-informed attack.  (Maybe
I should campaign to keep people honest in this area--Curse VisualBASIC
pre dot net.)  I doubt most people who say such things would even
recognize BASIC today.  I don't even think there's a lineage connection
between BASIC of 1964 and Basic of 2006.

In fact, I'd probably use instead of GCC for a lot of things if I could
find a BASIC compiler for Linux that was
- a true compiler
- compatible with C-libraries (header files and all)
- compatible with g++ c++ name-mangling so I can use libraries built in
C++
- object-oriented capabilities

There are some pretty good implementations of BASIC for Linux these days
(almost all not compiled), but since I've discovered Python, I doubt
I'll ever use them.  It is actually quite close to structured BASIC in
some ways, but much more elegant.  I guess I just like how pythonic
python is... ha

By the way, is JPython dead or does it still have a future?

By the way, you are right; Java's not an inherently bad language any
more than any other language.  It's just that because of its popularity,
many Java coders aren't really programmers--they don't understand
algorithm and computational theory.  They just bang out code (nounage).
That is, I think, the biggest reason Java gets so many attacks.