OT - Re: GPL Java

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 17:33:27 MST 2006

On 11/9/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> My point stands.  Don't think Java's place is secure just because it's
> dominant in the market.  I am just remembering Netscape.

It is secure.  Java isn't comparable to Netscape.  Netscape was a
client application.  Java is a client and server-side product.
Microsoft controls the client, but it is helpless against the adoption
of Linux and free unix systems as servers.  This is where Java has the
biggest hold.  Java is also doing very well on the desktop -- this is
just icing on the cake.

GPL Java will virtually guarantee Java to be shipped standard with
every Linux distro.  It already is preloaded on every Mac.  And it is
installed on almost every Windows PC by the manufacturer.  Java isn't
going anywhere but up.  It will be displace in the future by something
better, but that something isn't .NET.

> Anyway, we've been through this ad nauseum.  I just find it humorous.  I
> really like C, C++, Python, and even structured BASIC, but I'm not going
> to defend them as the best thing since sliced bread.

That's because you haven't had to deal with day-in-day-out false
statements about these languages.  I'm just trying to keep people
honest when it comes to Java.  If you don't like Java, that's fine.
But I feel morally obligated to correct false statements about it.

Statements such as  "Java is slow".  Or ".NET p0wnz Java".

> As for myself, I've always disliked Java.  Hated it really.  Then
> someone showed me a web page that helped me realize why:
>
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html

There's a lot of truth in that article.  It's not as if Java is wart
free, and if you don't like it, then you don't like it.  But you don't
get to spread falsehoods about it.

> This is meant to be funny, but it does illustrate why dealing with Java
> code often leaves me feeling nauseated.

Ya, you should stick with BASIC.

-Bryan