if my trash is empty why is my hard drive full

Brad Dorner bdorner at novell.com
Thu Nov 9 11:31:36 MST 2006

I have found a copy of everything I have ever deleted in a hidden folder '.local/share/Trash' and am wondering why?

I thought once something was deleted it was gone. These are items that I have moved to the trash in kde. I then emptied the trash, several times, and the trash thinks it is empty. I started noticing this when I ran out of disk space for my home partition. I did a df and it said the partition was full, but as I looked at the folders that I have in my home directory it came to only a small fraction of what the partition had available. So I started to look at the hidden folders and there it was. Gigabytes of data in a Trash folder.

So my questions is why are these files there and is there some way to no have them stored or to flag them somehow?

My system is:

Suse 10.1
KDE 3.5.4

Thanks