OT - Re: GPL Java

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Nov 8 19:01:01 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 15:50 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I don't care if Sun figures it out or not.  Once the code is GPL they
> can make a bazillion dollars or go out of business.  It doesn't effect
> GPL java users.  However, Sun isn't going anywere.  Novell, HP, and
> others would go out of business before Sun.

That's funny.  No I'm afraid you're wrong.  HP is definitely going to
outlive Novell and Sun.  In fact they recently regained the number one
spot from Dell for selling PCs.  But yes, Novell's days are numbered.

Sun is dying, no doubt about it.  It's not a matter of if Sun is going
to die, but rather run.  The commoditization of cheap PC hardware sealed
Sun's fate a long time ago.  Java is just something of a red herring or
anomaly.  A piece of popular software that came out of a hardware
company.  Sun's still, despite their AMD servers, a big iron unix
vendor.  They are screwed either way now. If they go with Linux or
Microsoft for their OS, then they are just another clone maker.  If they
continue with Solaris (which is a good OS), they will probably last a
bit longer but will still suffer as proprietary unix breaths its last
sigh.  Interesting that Solaris 10 has as a feature Linux binary
compatibility.

Now really I believe Sun will pull through, but it won't your
grandfather's sun that comes out the other end.

Don't underestimate Microsoft's clout with .NET either.  Java is now
competing with them, despite you're assurance that it is the other way
around.