Postgres vs. MSSQL

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Wed Nov 8 16:25:46 MST 2006

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 09:58 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> At work here we're looking at whether to adopt Postgres or stay with
>> MS SQL.  We've already got MS SQL working and all that, so switching
>> would mean throwing out our licenses with MS and porting the DBs (more
>> than one) over.  On the other hand, we're looking at growing soon, and
>> I'm worried that MS won't scale very well.  (Plus I like Postgres
>> better.  But our DBA likes MS SQL better.)
>>

> Clearly your company's decision will not be made on technical grounds.

No kidding.

If youre going to be using PHP, be careful as there are several *recent*
bugs (some annoying ones still unfixed) when it comes to connecting /
using mssql.  I've run into just about every bug there is.  The problem
with SQL Server is you'll never get updates unless MS feels like it (5
years between the last release), while Postgres releases updates on a
regular basis.

Just look at php.net/mssql and php.net/pgsql and see which one has much
more options.

Steve