Postgres vs. MSSQL

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Nov 8 12:14:34 MST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:07:50 -0700, "Daniel C." <dcrookston at gmail.com>
said:
> I'd recommend using MySQL for your first database.

I wouldn't.  MySQL is still full of non-standard weirdisms, and a lot of
the examples you find on the web are by people who really have no
business touching a database.

PostgreSQL _used_ to be more complicated to set up and install...  back
in the 6.x days circa 1999.  Now there is even a friendly windows
installer, and autovacuum Just Works.

PostgreSQL is easy enough for beginners, and powerful enough that you
won't have to switch databases when your needs grow.

-Jonathan