Postgres vs. MSSQL

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Nov 8 11:57:18 MST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:43:28 -0700, "Andrew McNabb" <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org>
said:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:59:49AM -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> >
> > PHP can, Django doesn't have it (except foreign key constraints)
> > natively.  But since we'll be running reports and things from outside
> > of Django, those things do come into play.
>
> I have almost no experience with the advanced database features listed
> earlier.  Does SQLAlchemy support any of these (now that Django is
> incorporating SQLAlchemy)?

Yes, SQLAlchemy does, but neither django nor turbogears is really there
yet with the SA integration.  (TG has enough done that you can do it
with enough wiki reading, but it's not ready out-of-the-box yet AFAIK.)

>  More generally speaking, to what degree can
> database-abstracting libraries make use of these features without
> forcing you to include SQL directly (I like SQL, but I don't think it
> looks nice sitting in the middle of an application).

Well, basically the approach you take is allowing the programmer to
specify, "Hey ORM tool, here are some operations where the DB will
change stuff out from under you, so know that you need to re-fetch stuff
when you do any of those."  SA lets you do this (and introspects it
automatically in the case of column defaults).  With most other ORM
tools you are SOL.

-Jonathan