Postgres vs. MSSQL

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Nov 8 11:02:48 MST 2006

On Nov 8, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Michael L Torrie wrote:
>   If I recall correctly,
> PostgreSQL and Oracle do not use locks at all to enforce integrity.
> Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain to me why this might be.

This sounded very much like some lock-free concurrency models I'm
interested in, so I did a google search and came up with a document
that will probably do a better job of explaining it than I could:
http://forge.objectweb.org/docman/view.php/237/132/mvcc-survey.pdf

The interesting thing about this to me is that these features are
being added to programming languages, which gives a much nicer and
more flexible model for handling data synchronization among
concurrent processes.

		--Levi