Postgres vs. MSSQL

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 09:58:35 MST 2006

Hey all,

At work here we're looking at whether to adopt Postgres or stay with
MS SQL.  We've already got MS SQL working and all that, so switching
would mean throwing out our licenses with MS and porting the DBs (more
than one) over.  On the other hand, we're looking at growing soon, and
I'm worried that MS won't scale very well.  (Plus I like Postgres
better.  But our DBA likes MS SQL better.)

I'm also going to recommend moving to Django from PHP, which would
make Postgres the natural option.

Anyone have a perspective on this they could share?  Things I need to
consider?  Potential arguments for both sides of the issue?

Thanks,
Dan