GPL Java

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Nov 8 02:17:28 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:23:19PM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:

> I don't really think this is going to change anything for the
> foreseeable future.  Java will still very much be run by Sun.

No doubt, but if ALL the linux distros start shipping gcj with, say,
JPP, or groovy, and major FOSS Java-based apps start using these
extensions (think Tomcat), I think the FOSS world, and users in
general will have more leverage to encourage Sun than we do now.

> I suppose it's nice insurance in case Sun were to go under, though.
> I don't see any other real impact, though I may easily be missing
> something big.

I don't know how big this is, but I think ports will go a lot faster
soon.  I know I waited for over a year for a stable x86_64 jvm to run
tomcat on.  Shockingly, there still isn't a good JVM for Sparc Linux.
Blackdown did a great job, but they're not big enough.

And I'm hoping the weirdnesses of IBM's J2ME will mostly be solved so
I'll have a much better jvm for my Palm.

It would be really cool to see some of the other programming languages
that target the JVM, or even some of the extensions to the Java
programming language become more widely adopted.  Imagine gcc being
able to take your python, ruby, scheme, Eiffel, or Ada code and
produce cross-platform Java bytecodes OR a native executable.
Feasible?  I dunno, just because of the library issues.  Fun to think
about, though.

Barry Roberts