GPL Java

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Nov 7 23:53:48 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 23:23 -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2006, at 11:07 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> >
> > The Java compiler and VM, though, will be the parts that are GPL,
> > which
> > is excellent news.  I think this is a witness to the fact that Sun is
> > beginning to see the writing on the wall for them.  The GPL is really
> > the only way to give Java a life of its own under the direction of
> > Sun,
> > but outside of Sun.  It's really the only way to combat .Net.
>
> I don't really think this is going to change anything for the
> foreseeable future.  Java will still very much be run by Sun.  I
> suppose it's nice insurance in case Sun were to go under, though.  I
> don't see any other real impact, though I may easily be missing
> something big.

I doubt it's something earth shattering.  But it is an insurance policy
for Sun.  In order to compete with the Microsoft/Novell conspiracy (umm
did I say that?), by GPLing Java, Sun can bring IBM and other community-
based resources, such as GNU gcj and classpath, to bear on making Java
better and more competitive with .NET.  At the same time they don't have
to crawl into bed with IBM (and get squished) because the GPL will make
sure that IBM's benefits can come back and help Sun too.  There is a
reason why Linux began after BSD but has now exceeded BSD in many areas,
especially corporate interest.  That's the GPL.  Now Sun can also wield
this to its advantage.  One can only hope that Sun's schizophrenia with
regards to open source in general has now been cured, and that they can
figure out just what kind of company they are.  Solaris? Linux? AMD?
Sparc?  Are we even a hardware company at all?  Why do we do software
again?  Are we competing with Apple?