OOPs I need a book

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Nov 7 17:21:32 MST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> Is this the one?  There did not seem to be one just called
> "Object-Oriented Design":
>
> Object oriented design with applications (Benjamin/Cummings series
> in Ada and software engineering)  by Grady Booch (Hardcover - Sep
> 1990)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/oriented-applications-Benjamin-Cummings-
> engineering/dp/0805300910/sr=1-1/qid=1162943646/
> ref=sr_1_1/002-7548996-2549610?ie=UTF8&s=books

That may be the one, but I told you about all I know about it.  It
was Stroustrup's recommendation, not mine. ;)  Might be best to see
if you can find it in a library or something, though the piles of
'practical' pulp that fill the computer shelves these days have
probably displaced it everywhere but university libraries.

> Also, which "Functional Programming" book were you thinking of when
> you recommend it as a follow-up to my current studies?

I didn't have any particular book in mind, but The Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs and ML For the Working Programmer
are both good books.  The former is also available for free online,
so there's little excuse not to check it out. :)  It's not the sort
of book that will teach you how to write business applications, but
it will teach you the essence of programming.

		--Levi