OOPs I need a book

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Nov 7 17:08:56 MST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> I did not want to mention PHP because it really does not need to be
> mentioned, but I am currently delving into PHP 5 and wanted to make
> sure my OOP training was well-founded be before I get too far into
> PHP 5. While it is a language that I commonly use, I do not want to
> limit myself. In college I poked around in Fortran, Lisp, Pascal,
> Java, and C++.  I have also played with Perl and tcl/tk.
>
> I have never really taken the time, until know, to really build
> best OOP practices.  I figure it is better late than never.  Hence
> the search for a good OOP theory book.  The design books are
> welcome also.  I have "PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practices" that
> I have been reading and I have been realizing that I need to start
> at a more fundamental level.  I was planning on getting "Beginning
> PHP 5 and MySQL" and then decided that I should first go even more
> fundamental and get into theory.

It seems kind of odd to hear someone learning PHP say they want to
back off and learn some theory first, but it's certainly a sentiment
I wish was more widespread (and not just among PHP programmers).
There will probably be some differences between the OO principles you
learn from those books and whatever the current PHP best practices
are, but I think the general OOP stuff will serve you better in the
long run anyway, and will make the PHP-specific stuff easier to follow.

		--Levi