linux certs

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Nov 7 16:48:09 MST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Hill, Greg wrote:

> This has probably been covered before, but I thought I'd ask for input.
>

> I'm considering getting some linux certs, mostly as a means to motivate
> me to dig into the deep, dark areas of linux that I've so far avoided.
>> From what I can tell, the "big" certs are the Red Hat ones (RHCT and
> RHCE) and the LPIC ones (LPIC-1 and LPIC-2).  Does anyone know much
> about them?  Are any of them worth the effort?  I'd prefer to train
> myself, so having a good book for study is preferable (I found one for
> the LPIC-1 on amazon, but not the LPIC-2, and there are tons for the
> RHCE and RHCT, so bonus points for Redhat there).  I know there are
> companies that do week-long training courses, but those are probably not
> feasible (as in, I doubt my work would pay $2000+ to have me gone for a
> week, but then again, who knows).
>
> If anyone has some good input, I'm all ears.
>
> Greg

My wife used to work for a company in PG called TestOut! who creates
training and testing software for certification.  They do not have any for
the LPIC or RHCT, but they do have one for CompTIA's Linux+:

http://testout.com/linuxplus/index.htm

I have used thier software before and I can tell you that they offer very
solid products.  It would be nice if they did more with Linux, but Linux+
is a good start, perhaps.  Or perhaps it does not delve as deep as you
would like.

Good luck!

Jonathan