linux certs

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Tue Nov 7 16:36:15 MST 2006

This has probably been covered before, but I thought I'd ask for input.

I'm considering getting some linux certs, mostly as a means to motivate
me to dig into the deep, dark areas of linux that I've so far avoided.
>From what I can tell, the "big" certs are the Red Hat ones (RHCT and
RHCE) and the LPIC ones (LPIC-1 and LPIC-2).  Does anyone know much
about them?  Are any of them worth the effort?  I'd prefer to train
myself, so having a good book for study is preferable (I found one for
the LPIC-1 on amazon, but not the LPIC-2, and there are tons for the
RHCE and RHCT, so bonus points for Redhat there).  I know there are
companies that do week-long training courses, but those are probably not
feasible (as in, I doubt my work would pay $2000+ to have me gone for a
week, but then again, who knows).

If anyone has some good input, I'm all ears.

Greg