OOPs I need a book

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Nov 7 15:26:03 MST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Levi Pearson wrote:
>> Sorry to be pedantic, but we don't call it LISP anymore.  It was only
>> ever called LISP because there weren't any lowercase characters on
>> terminals when it was invented!  It's not a proper acronym, so
>> LISP is
>> just wrong.  Lisp is the way to name it.
>
> Well, I know how you feel: a lot of people write JAVA, even some Java
> programmers!

Clearly those people need to have their shift and caps lock keys
revoked until they can learn to use them properly!  There's just no
reason to do that.

> Although I can't help but mention there is some minor disagreement
> about
> this. :-)
>
> http://www.newlisp.org/
> http://www.steinvb.com/pub/vldb.asp

Yes, but both of those are evil abominations that sully the good name
of Lisp. ;)

AutoLISP has been around since '86, and some people still callled
Lisp LISP back then due to inertia.  Common Lisp was standardized in
'94, and has henceforth been officially spelled with sane
capitalization.

Forget you ever looked at NewLISP; it only superficially resembles
Lisp and is fundamentally broken in many ways.  It is not surprising
that the author chose the archaic spelling, because he apparently
chose to ignore about 20 years worth of language evolution before
introducing even more breakage.

		--Levi