plug.org - October Statistics

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue Nov 7 11:25:17 MST 2006

On Tue, November 7, 2006 09:51, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>
>> Pretty please with sugar on top:
>> The biggest driver (outside of location) to the site is our Linux companies list.
>> This list isn't growing as well as I hoped. Does anyone have any ideas how we can
>> boost the number of companies listed? I know there are dozens and dozens of
>> companies in our state using Linux. Such a list helps us capture people interested
>> in Linux locally. It also helps recruiting and strengthening Linux as a career
>> path.
>> Once we reach a certain number (30? 50?) it becomes a lot easier to approach
>> companies and show them what they are missing.
>>
>> The stats:
>>
>> 14 - Total number of local companies listed.
>>
>> Most popular keyword conversion visits (search engine hits):
>> 35 - "utah linux companies"
>>
>> Top Content Page Views:
>> 83 - Local companies
>>
> How about if we add more qualifiers to the description of what a "Linux
> Company" is.  I work for a company that has a couple of employees who do
> their work in Linux, OS X, or FreeBSD.  Would that company count?  The
> company is rather OS agnostic.  They do not care what their employees use,
> so long as the work is getting done.

I accidentally responded off list to this. Just to sum up: Yes. The companies list
has provisions for this. Even if your company uses Linux in a very limited role I
think it still belongs on the list. I've gotten some off-list feed back from
Jonathan in this regard. I'm working on adding an 'Additional OSs Used' field that
will show us what sort of integration issues companies might be facing. Please let
me know what you think.

-Ryan