mozy contest: problem 1 PHP solution

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Nov 6 16:46:36 MST 2006

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:44 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>> Given those rules, n bits can express integers from 0 to (2^n - 1).  n
>>> is 2^64, so 16 exbibits can express integers from 0 to (2^(2^64) - 1).
>> BTW, if you meant to ask about 16 exbibytes, you can represent up to
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that mebibytes and kibibytes and exbibytes
> are silly and still uses good old SI prefixes using 1024 as the factor?
> I probably am, but I just refuse to us MiBs or GiBs.

I don't say them out loud because they do sound silly, but I try to use
them in writing.  Also, when I buy a 250 GB hard drive, I expect it to
provide about 250 x 1000^3 bytes of space, not 250 x 1024^3 bytes.  The
drive manufacturers back me up on this one.

We'll see if the flash memory manufacturers catch on.  They could:

1) Continue to use GB
2) Switch to GiB
3) Use GB but adjust the numbers upward: 16 GiB becomes 17.1 GB

The first option is forgivable, since 1 GB is a low approximation of 1
GiB.  The second option is geeky and unappealing.  The third option is a
way to draw attention, and it ought to appeal to marketers once they
figure it out.

Shane