Seeking Advice: Building A Web Store From Scratch

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Mon Nov 6 14:25:27 MST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Daniel C. wrote:

> Why does the language it's written in matter?  I realize I know
> nothing about your architecture, etc. and I'm giving you the benefit
> of the doubt here, but it seems like a weak reason to me.

Your original question was:

You can't modify something like Zen Cart to make the accountants happy?

And my response:

> On 11/6/06, Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
>> Zen Cart / OS Commerce and their ilk are lacking several things that
>> would require major plumbing changes to achieve (notably, that they
>> are not written in Ruby on Rails - natch), thus I wish to roll my
>> own.

Your implication is that I can start with OSCommerce/ZenCart and
simply modify it to do what I need.  That locks me into PHP.  I have
decided not to use PHP for this, thus I can't just modify
OSCommerce.  I would have to re-implement it all in RoR.  This would
be fine, if I thought OSCommerce offered some best practices.

My original question is where can I go to find some best practices
with regards to setting up a Point of Sale solution.  I have done
extensive work with OSCommerce, and don't feel it really adheres to
what I consider to be best practices in several areas, not just
accounting.

The language of good example software is irrelevant to me - as long
as I can grok it and learn from it.  It's best practices techniques
I'm after here.

(stuff like - at the time of an invoice it is a good idea to take a
snapshot of all the relevant data, flatten all relationships and
store it all with the invoice - thus when you later change the items
offered for sale in your store, you don't have item_id fields in an
invoice that point to a now non-existant item, but rather have stored
all the item's details with the invoice.) (of course, it could be
argued that flattening data is a horrible idea, and you should just
never delete/modify the stuff you have for sale, but just add new
inventory items when you wish to change your inventory)

-- Kimball