$10K coding deathmatch

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Mon Nov 6 13:48:59 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 05:00:24PM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Andrew McNabb wrote:
>
> >I'm a big fan of Python, but this example made me want to cry.
> >
> >Grounds for first bullet:
> >>       value = reduce(lambda x,y: 0 < abs(x-y) <= len(nums) and y or
> >>       None, [int(item) for item in nums])
> >
> >Grounds for second bullet:
> >>       print '%smatch' % (not value and 'Not a ' or '')
> >

> Are you objecting to the use of logical operators as conditionals?
> The list comprehension?  The anonymous function?  The functional
> style in general?

People should be shot for using logical operators as conditionals.

Also, you shouldn't inline a function unless it's short and concise.
It's really not hard to put a def statement just before the reduce.

> The program looks pretty clear to me, aside from using logical
> operators instead of conditionals, but AFAIK there's no explicit
> conditional expression in Python so one doesn't have much choice when
> attempting to program in functional style.

Have you ever heard of "if" and "else"?  I usually call them
conditionals. :)

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/