Linux System Documentation

Chad Butler chad.butler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:39:52 MST 2006

I am looking for a way to automate the documentation of a hand full of
Linux/Windows servers.  Ideally, I would like to find a script that
can be run on either platform that will produce a consistent report
that includes such information as:

-network settings
-installed software
-hardware specs
-etc.

I stumbled upon this script that appears to be exactly what I need.
http://sydi.sourceforge.net/

After a quick test run, it became apparent that Linux support was
minimal.  The utility produces a very useful report for Windows
systems, but gives little more than an enumeration of the /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files on Linux systems.  I realize that it may be
unrealistic to expect to find a good tool that will produce consistent
results for Windows and Linux systems.

What are PLUG users using to document their Linux servers for disaster
recovery purposes?

Thanks,

Chad Butler