Learn a new language, was Re: Mozy Context Impressions

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:59:46 MST 2006

On 11/6/06, Dan Stovall <dbstovall at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought that some of these questions should probably be added to
> that list.  I was wondering what sort of exercises do the pluggers do
> when learning a new language, or are just trying to keep their skills
> sharp?

I duplicate Linux shell commands or other utilities when I'm learning
a language, as it is very easy to check the correctness of my results.
 Things like grep, wc, sort, etc... are good excercises to learn the
basics of most languages I have learned on my own (C, Python).  I also
intend in the future to exercise my coding muscles (small though they
may be) by creating extensions to or modifying some of the open source
app/utilities that I use.

--
Alex Esplin