C++ style question/criticism, was Re: Mozy Contest Answers

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Nov 4 21:13:59 MST 2006

Levi Pearson wrote:
> So, if you used to use a more compact style, I assume you were used to
> it and you could parse it quickly.  Why did you switch?

I thought it looked better aesthetically, and I learned how to use my
editor more effectively (vim). I used to keep as much code on a screen
as possible, so I could refer back without scrolling (I'll call it
"optimized for vertical compression"). Then I learned how to use vim.
Between vim's m, ctrl+p, %, *,  #, n, and N, I can move around in code
without regard to white space or vertical compression. Also, I've fond
ctags and cscope useful when working with others' code, but I rarely use
them on my own. That's been my experience. I let the editor do the grunt
work, and I lay out the code however I think it looks best, even if that
means sacrificing a few rows of terminal space.

What are your thoughts?

--Dave