Mozy Contest Impressions (was: Re: Mozy Contest Answers)

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Nov 4 20:43:22 MST 2006

Just wanted to share my impressions about the Mozy coding contest. I
found that the majority of the questions had to do with the ability to
parse text and manipulate strings. Only one question had to do with
anything else, and it was thrown out. I can only conclude that BDS
thinks people who can write programs to parse text in 10 minutes or less
are worth a $10,000 award. I personally think the breadth of the
questions was lacking. Maybe phase 2 had a wider breadth of problems --
I didn't advance, so I don't know.

I personally felt limited as my strongest language (C++) lacks good text
processing in its standard library. Since I was not allowed to use my
favorite libraries (Qt has an awesome string class that would have made
the problems *much* easier), I was unable to complete several of the
problems in the alotted time.I did complete one of the problems in 2
minutes using Perl, while most of the others left me gasping for air
after 10 minutes of C/C++. Oh well. :)

Curious how others did, and also wondering if the $10k was awarded today.

Best of luck to BDS in their hunt for talent. I think we're all
struggling to find good developers right now.

--Dave

P.S. The reason I didn't advance, as many of you know, is that I am a
poor coder. Bummer for me, eh?