Tabs vs Spaces

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Nov 4 19:45:50 MST 2006

Steve wrote:
> Just got a bit of a critque on my coding style.
> I realize this has been debated ad-nausem, but does anyone know the
> origin of the tabs vs spaces debate?  I mean seems to me hitting TAB a
> single time is alot easier than hitting the space bar multiple times,
> but I also know there are editors that will convert tabs to spaces and
> vice versa.
> Is there maybe a standard set somewhere on this?  Was there ever a
> standard?

I hope we can nip this in the bud.  This question is undecidable in
general.  Projects like the Linux kernel demand 100% tabs, while most
Python projects demand 100% spaces.  So the correct answer depends on
the project.  Either standard is OK, but combining spaces and tabs
always seems to lead to broken formatting.  Even Levi's critique to your
code came out with bad formatting on my email client.

Hopefully you're not going to ask how wide a tab should be.  The
decidability of that question is, ahem, undecidable. :-)

Shane