Mozy Contest Answers

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Sat Nov 4 19:25:32 MST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:09:50PM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:

> space.  What is the point of putting curly braces on lines all by
> themselves?

It looks better.

> 	if (str[x+1] == charclose) { depth--; }
>       }
>       if (str[x] == charclose) { c_close++; }
>     }
>
>     if (c_close != c_open) { cout << 0 << endl; }
>     else { cout << depth+1 << endl; }
>   }
> }
>
> Is there some reason I'm missing to prefer the extremely long version
> over the shortened one?

Yes. It looks better. Code should be written with readability in mind.
"Beautiful is better than ugly".

Braces on the same line as opposed to a line by itself is personal
preference. But   if (foo) { do something }   is butt ugly and makes it
harder to read, and should be avoided IMNSHO.

-Roberto

--
"If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend, millions of people will go
to hell."