Microsoft, Novell reported in Linux accord

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Nov 4 10:29:30 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:45:59PM -0700, Scott Paul Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:48:04PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > Any bets on how long Mono remains in Fedora Core?
> >

> Having casually followed Mono development for quite a while now, the
> threat of a lawsuit has been brought up by various devs a number of
> times. Many people cite that as the big concern for adopting Mono.  The
> devs always rejected it with reasons (implemented in clean room, based
> on published public standard), and I think a lot of the community is
> agreeing with them. Didn't Mono get added as an core language for Gnome
> recently?[1]

I just yanked mono from a Fedora Core 6 installation, with no
dependencies I was unwilling to accept (beagle and tomboy, neither of
which I use). So Gnome 2.16 does not appear to require Mono. Nor
XFCE. Of course that does not address future versions of either. If
nothing else, there's always good old TWM.

> If Microsoft does bring down the ax, they'll end up killing Mono. No
> one (except Novell) will touch it. C# will become more like a "pay for
> use" language. One of my professors recently pointed out that all the
> "pay for use" languages never catch on or develop passionate follows.
> Think of the languages you know and use, how many have free
> implementations? If Microsoft kills Mono, I think they're going to
> seriously hurt C# as a language as far as adoption goes. Which is too
> bad, it's a well designed language.

Microsoft couldn't care less about the technical merits of its
languages, as evidenced by the ubiquity of BASIC in many of its apps,
and by the fact that Microsoft C is in no danger of being accused of
ANSI compliance nor Windows of POSIX compliance. So I doubt your
arguments will carry much weight among Microsoft management.

Microsoft is a big, fat, slow dinosaur. In the process of rolling over
it may well squash some of its own eggs as well as a proto mammal or
three that got too close.