Microsoft, Novell reported in Linux accord

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Fri Nov 3 23:45:59 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:48:04PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> Any bets on how long Mono remains in Fedora Core?

I doubt it'll go anywhere. It's been under the same threat from
Microsoft since it was put in. The only change is now Novell is paying
out to ensure they don't get sued.

Having casually followed Mono development for quite a while now, the
threat of a lawsuit has been brought up by various devs a number of
times. Many people cite that as the big concern for adopting Mono.  The
devs always rejected it with reasons (implemented in clean room, based
on published public standard), and I think a lot of the community is
agreeing with them. Didn't Mono get added as an core language for Gnome
recently?[1]

If Microsoft does bring down the ax, they'll end up killing Mono. No
one (except Novell) will touch it. C# will become more like a "pay for
use" language. One of my professors recently pointed out that all the
"pay for use" languages never catch on or develop passionate follows.
Think of the languages you know and use, how many have free
implementations? If Microsoft kills Mono, I think they're going to
seriously hurt C# as a language as far as adoption goes. Which is too
bad, it's a well designed language.

Scott

[1] This is from memory, but basically that Mono apps can be part of the
core Gnome suite and Mono is a requirement.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net