Microsoft, Novell reported in Linux accord

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Nov 3 20:24:05 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 20:07 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:53:17PM -0500, Grant Shipley wrote:
> > "...that will allow open-source Linux software to work with the
> > company's Windows software"
> >
> > Exactly what does this mean?
>
> Don't know that I can answer that, but folks might want to read the
> groklaw analysis. http://groklaw.net/

This choice quote from groklaw is pretty interesting:

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said his company is open to talking to other
Linux distributors about reaching mutual patent coverage deals similar
to the agreement signed Nov. 2 with Novell.

Such talks would be a good idea, Ballmer suggested, since now only
Novell's SUSE Linux customers are the only Linux vendors that have any
assurance that Microsoft won't sue for patent infringement....

The distributors of other versions of Linux cannot assure their
customers that Microsoft won't sue for patent infringement. "If a
customer says, 'Look, do we have liability for the use of your patented
work?' Essentially, If you're using non-SUSE Linux, then I'd say the
answer is yes," Ballmer said.

"I suspect that [customers] will take that issue up with their
distributor," Ballmer said. Or if customers are considering doing a
direct download of a non-SUSE Linux version, "they'll think twice about
that," he said.

Does this sound familiar?  Can anyone say "SCO?"

Micahel