$10K coding deathmatch

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Nov 3 18:14:43 MST 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Jacob Fugal wrote:

> I think the first bullet has to do not with the structure of the
> statement, just the syntax. It does appear rather hard to follow to
> me, and python is a language that prides itself (and I think rightly
> so, in most cases) in readability. Compare the same approach -- even
> if not equivalent in code -- in Ruby:
>
>  begin
>    range = (1...nums.length)
>    nums = nums.map{ |item| Integer(item) }
>    nums.inject{ |x,y| (range === (x - y).abs) ? y : raise)
>    print "match"
>  rescue
>    print "not a match"
>  end
>
> I much prefer the use of the ternary operator (in limited cases like
> this) over an "x and y or z" approach. I also prefer the explicit
> exception, like you.

Clearly, breaking the steps out into intermediate calculations makes
it look a little cleaner, but it doesn't really change the syntax
used (aside from adding variable assignment syntax, which is rather
non-functional).  Python doesn't have the ternary operator (what I
called a conditional expression).  This means you pretty much have to
use and/or for inline conditionals, as far as I know.

What this boils down to is that Python isn't terribly friendly to a
functional programming style, even though it has a lot of the
features that make it possible.  It just starts to get a little ugly,
though I think it's probably still fairly clear if you're used to it.

> On the second bullet, why not something like:
>
>  print(value and 'match' or 'not a match')

That's probably clearer and faster, but the original didn't strike me
as shooting offense. :)

		--Levi