Bad hard drive. Lost data?

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Fri Nov 3 16:45:05 MST 2006

I used to get the click/whirr/grind thing on an external drive.  Turns
out it was the logic board in the enclosure that was bad, and the drive
worked just fine when I removed the external enclosure.  But, it sounds
like you're talking about an internal drive, so my experience won't
really help.  My sister shares your pain.  There's some utility you can
download that is free to use to see what's recoverable, but you have to
pay per GB for the actual recovery.  Not sure how it worked, but I know
they charged her a lot more than they said and didn't recover everything
they promised.

Greg