ActivePerl?

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Fri Nov 3 14:12:34 MST 2006

While I agree completely with Joe's and Greg's statements about
stability, and how well it works, ActivePerl brings back nightmares
for me.  To me, it reminds me of a certain company in town that
decided they were too good for Linux and figured ActivePerl on Windows
would be easy enough to port to to get them out of that "evil Linux".
I was then forced to transition them from Mod_Perl/Perl on Linux to
ActivePerl/IIS/PerlISAPI on Windows.  It was such a sad transition!

I'm not sure how much longer Activestate's support for Perl will be
around though - they just denounced their support for perl.net, and I
haven't heard much about them these days.  I think the best thing they
have going for them (if you call it that) is Komodo, although I think
Eclipse is a bit superior of an IDE.

IOW, I think it's a great platform for someone who can't get on Linux,
but wants to learn and use Perl, but beyond that, I think it can turn
against the OSS community in some ways, in that it also gives
companies an excuse to transition from Linux back to Windows.  Then
again, I'm just bitter from my experience.

Just my $.02...

Jesse