How to Organize Photo Collection with FOSS

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Nov 2 22:50:15 MST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 10:04 PM, Christer Edwards wrote:
>> Maybe I have stars in my eyes and sing nightly with RMS.... or
>> maybe I
>> should step off of my high horse and realize most linux applications
>> suck.
> I think they call people like you and I "zealots".  Those that sing
> praises with RMS and only adhere to open options.  That's ok with me..
> I'm completely productive with my 100% Linux (Ubuntu) network at the
> home and for use in the office.

I must confess, I do occasionally mumble 'those crazy zealots' to
myself while reading your emails and blog posts. ;)

I don't particularly begrudge someone who would like to use a
particular kind of software; it's the attitude of moral superiority
among those that adhere to RMS's philosophy that occasionally gets on
my nerves.  I understand that adhering to a fairly strict philosophy
tends to do that, but in the interest of interacting peacefully with
your less pious brethren, you might want to tone it down.

Anyway, I also object to those who assume that a member of a Linux
users group must necessarily be an adherent to the Free Software
philosophy.  Some of us just find that it happens to be the best tool
available for some jobs.  And I liked the RMS of old better; the one
who created Emacs from TECO macros, who hacked on ITS and Lisp
Machines, and spent his days generally making way cool stuff.  Now
he's too busy preaching ideology to make anything cool.  Oh well, at
least the Great Quux is still exercising his genius. :)

		--Levi