How to Organize Photo Collection with FOSS

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Thu Nov 2 15:26:09 MST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Grant Shipley wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Grant Robinson <santiago at mr-r.net> wrote:
>
>> I always find this to be a funny statement.  Looking at the source
>> code would take WAY more time then just looking at the filesystem.
>> Unless you are a contributing member of the project, looking at the
>> source code of just about anything can be an excercise in
>> frustration.  Don't believe me?
>
> Granted the complexity of this project is not on par with KHTML but I
> honestly did the following today.
>
> Downloaded a plugin to view multiple log files in eclipse (think tail
> -f).  I did not like the way it defaulted the tab name to the
> filename.  I wanted to be able to specify the tab name.  I went to the
> project homepage, downloaded the source, imported into eclipse, made
> my change, compiled the new plugin, tested it, and the deployed the
> new plugin.
>
> So, having the source does matter.

I used that example because I actually worked on KHTML back before it
became the behemoth that it is today.  That was a bug I fixed,
although I believe my patch was ultimately rejected because it broke
binary compatibility.  Even back then, it took quite a while to track
down where that was actually occurring in the code.

I always feel better about using programming tools that I have the
source to.  For applications that I am using and not writing, I just
want them to work, and if it means using a closed-source alternative,
I will take it if the tradeoff comes out in my favor.  With iPhoto,
the tradeoff is definitely in my favor.  Photoshop on the other hand,
not so much. :)  Gimp works just great.  But the majority of graphic
artists would heartily disagree with me.

Grant