$10K coding deathmatch

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Thu Nov 2 15:03:12 MST 2006

Thus said "Josh Coates" on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:20:45 MST:

> We are  looking for  sequences of  n > 0  integers where  the absolute
> values of the  differences of successive elements are  included in the
> set of numbers 1 through n - 1. For instance,

I think  I see the confusion  in my last  response. I'm not sure  if the
wording of  the problem  is contributing  or not... At  any rate,  I was
looking for the abs(x - x+1) in the original sequence of numbers (not in
the sequence  1, 2, 3, ...  n-1) and clearly getting  a different result
than what was published. An entirely different problem to be sure. :-)

So, your first example:

4 1 2 3

Would have resulted in { 3 1 1 } but since 3 was not in { 4 1 2 }, I was
getting no match. Of  course when matching against { 1 2 3  } there is a
match.

What fun the English language can be.

Andy
  3:01pm  up 4 days,  4:46,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00