How to Organize Photo Collection with FOSS

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Thu Nov 2 14:42:54 MST 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Hill, Greg wrote:

>> iPhoto is amazing.  You can tag each picture and make albums on the
> fly
>> and instant slideshows.  I love it.  I think you can even post to a
> photo
>> blog with it, but I have not tried it yet.  I am still using Gallery2
> for
>> online photo sharing.
>
> My wife shared your love of iPhoto until it deleted all of her photos
> when she upgraded to a newer version.  Yeah, she was a bit miffed about
> that.  She lost several hundred photos that hadn't been backed up.  She
> uses Adobe Bridge mostly now.
>
> Do I have a point?  Not really.  I guess just be careful with any of
> those programs that claim control over your existing files like iPhoto
> does.
>
> Greg

Very understandable.  I was originally concerned with how much control
iPhoto takes over my images.  However, I realized that it keeps an
"Originals" folder and I back that up every day (with rsync to my Gentoo
file server) along with everything else on my Mac.  The benefits of using
iPhoto are definitely worth it.  I am sorry to hear that your wife lost
her photos.  Tell her to look forward to Leopard which will come with a
new backup program called Time Machine
(http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html) that looks amazing.

I just realized that this really does not fit with FOSS, since iPhoto is
not free, unless you have a Mac.  Sorry.

Jonathan