How to Organize Photo Collection with FOSS

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 14:40:03 MST 2006

On 11/2/06, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com> wrote:
> iPhoto is amazing.  You can tag each picture and make albums on the fly
> and instant slideshows.  I love it.  I think you can even post to a photo
> blog with it, but I have not tried it yet.  I am still using Gallery2 for
> online photo sharing.

<sarcasm>
Is iPhoto open source now?  Can it run on linux?
</sarcasm>

Sorry for the flame bait but we have to stop thinking of Apple and
their closed source applications as a suitable alternative.

Apple took open source software and made it great in a couple of
years.  Have they given it back?  Nope.  In my opinion, they are more
harmful to open source than microsoft.

How about google?  Their business is built and runs on open source
software --- and yet they fail to see the need to open source their
GWT compiler(*1).  How about picassa(*2), is it open source? No of
course not.

--
Grant

*1 - From http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

The GWT Java-to-JavaScript compiler and hosted web browser are shipped
binary-only and subject to the license below.

*2 - From http://picasa.google.com/linux/faq.html#26
Q: Is Picasa for Linux open source?

Picasa for Linux isn't open source; it uses a carefully tested version
of Wine to run the current Windows version of Picasa. Wine itself is
an open-source implementation of the Windows API. It runs on top of
the X Window System and Linux or Unix.