How to Organize Photo Collection with FOSS

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Thu Nov 2 13:51:33 MST 2006

On Thu, November 2, 2006 12:49, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get some opinions from everyone about how they organize their digital
>> photo collections.
>>
>> Right now I am using gallery2 and I'm not happy with how I started. I have about
>> 1,000 family photos spanning 4 years in there right now. I've made the mistake of
>> organizing them by family member rather than by date. What I've learned is that my
>> gallery visitors don't want to see them organized by person, but by event. Of
>> course, recent events are the most interesting and so date organization would work
>> better for me.
>>
>> Also, I'd like to attach a story to a group of pictures to sort of digitally
>> scrapbook special events. I almost want a blog/gallery jammed together.
>>
>> So, since I'll pretty much have to start from scratch, what do you recommend as
>> tools for the job?
>>
> iPhoto is amazing.  You can tag each picture and make albums on the fly
> and instant slideshows.  I love it.  I think you can even post to a photo
> blog with it, but I have not tried it yet.  I am still using Gallery2 for
> online photo sharing.

I have enjoyed every ones comments. During my search I found this handy comparision
of image viewers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_image_viewers

My conclusion in all of this is that we as technologists have a long way to go in
the media management arena. There seems to be a steady stream of ideas, like the
great GPS ideas posted, but no one working on implementing them correctly.

With digital cameras and MP3 players being the top selling electronics items out
there these days, how much longer will it be before we have really good software to
work with? I think Apple (from the best I can tell) is right on the money here.
Kudos to them for recognizing the need and stepping up to the plate with iLife. Now,
if I can just get a $200 box to run OSX on I'd be set.

It is amazing how cheap digital cameras are getting as well. My 2.0 MP camera was
$400 a few years back, now 6MP units are starting to ship for under $99. With cell
phone cameras and ultra-small units it is probably safe to assume that at no point
previously in history have more pictures and video been taken. We are documenting
our lives at an amazing rate, and sharing it with others. Eventually management of
all that data is going to become the 'next big thing.'

A good example of this is my kids. I've taken thousands and thousands of photos of
them as they have grown up. I think I have maybe 25 snapshots of me as a baby. My
oldest has at least 100 of his first 24 hours of life.

-Ryan