$10K coding deathmatch

Paul Seamons paul at seamons.com
Thu Nov 2 10:27:29 MST 2006

> > Why does perl code always remind me of explitives?

Purely subliminal.  Take ANY one-liner in perl, translate to binary, bitshift
3 to the right, kill the incomplete terminal byte, load in as an unicode
string and translate the resulting Chinese characters back into Engrish, and
behold the expletives that pour forth.  Purely subliminal.  True story.

> The whole one-liner code pheonomenon is a big thing in the Perl community
> because of Perl's TMTOWTDI characteristic.

One liners are nearly always a toy, sometimes a bandaid, but never production
code.  But they can help you think of ways to shorten the pipeline as Alan's
examples have nicely shown.

> I know Paul is a
> great Perl programmer and when he's not writing out-of-this-world
> one-liners, he's usually writing very easy-to-read code.

Blush.

Paul