Ultimate PVR?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 31 17:06:34 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 04:33:19PM -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Michael Halcrow wrote:
> > If you're going to go with the PVR-150 anyway, you might want to
> > consider getting a PVR-500 instead, so that you can record two
> > shows that are playing simultaneously on two different
> > channels. The PVR-500 is basically two PVR-150's in one card.
>

> Can the PVR-500 record two shows at once?

Yes.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mce.html

See the bullet:

* Record two TV shows at once.

> From what I was reading, it looked like it would record one show,
> and you could watch the other show.

The PVR-150, PVR-250, and PVR-500 do not have video output capability;
that's the PVR-350 only, via an MPEG-2 decoder chip, and I honestly
see little utility in that; I can think of few reasons why you would
want to keep your video in MPEG-2 format.

Mike
"There is a great deal of transendence in our concept of an eggplant."
 - Pascal Boyer