Ultimate PVR?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 31 16:16:48 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 03:34:52PM -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Any idea what the difference between the WinTV 150 and WinTV 250 is?

I assume you mean for Linux.

The IVTV driver is more widely tested for the PVR-250. Some time back,
there were lots of complaints about the PVR-150 working under Linux,
but that was a while ago, and the driver may be up to snuff now.

From a functionality perspective, the PVR-150 doesn't fully support
PAL.

That's about it; there are a few more differences in how the
electronics are put together, mainly to make the board cheaper to
construct, and I am not sure what the picture quality implications of
that are. I picked up a PVR-250 just for the peace of mind, knowing
that it is better weathered with the IVTV driver.

If you're going to go with the PVR-150 anyway, you might want to
consider getting a PVR-500 instead, so that you can record two shows
that are playing simultaneously on two different channels. The PVR-500
is basically two PVR-150's in one card.

Mike
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in
higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
 - Nietzsche