Ultimate PVR?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 31 13:16:42 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:00:24PM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Michael Halcrow wrote:
> >Note that there is some funkiness with the tveeprom module and the
> >PVR-250 and the pcHDTV-3000 together in the same box. Basically,
> >you can't use the tveeprom that ships w/ the IVTV driver; you have
> >to use the one shipping w/ the kernel, and it has been ``reported
> >to work'' w/ the PVR-250... well, I suppose that pretty much
> >everything in a MythTV box gives you only a ``reported to work''
> >level of guarantee.
> >
> >It's a project. ;-)
>
> Are you using Gentoo?  Gentoo smooths out the rough edges in MythTV,
> because the types of tweaks I've had to do don't lend themselves
> well to a binary distribution.

Would it figure out on its own that I have both a pcHDTV-3000 card and
a PVR-250, and then automatically use the more compatible tveeprom
modules that ships with the kernel instead of the one that ships with
the IVTV driver, otherwise it will default to the better tested (for
the PVR-250) tveeprom shipping with the IVTV driver? Forgive me for
being a bit skeptical on that point. If Gentoo does get that right by
default, then I will be impressed.

Honestly, if I were to want to rebuild my machine to use 64-bit
binaries, I would be very tempted to make the switch to Gentoo. But as
long as I'm in 32-bit land, it's going to take a lot to get me away
from Debian w/ Marillat.

> Also, I put all shows on a dedicated hard drive partition.  That turned
> out to be a really good choice because MythTV often fills up the
> partition.

Yup; that's exactly how I have mine set up. Of course, with a few
hundred gigs of disk space to spare, it would take more hours of
television to fill up my partition than time I have outside of work
and grad school to watch anything.

And MythTV can be configured to stop recording once the free space in
a partition reaches a certain low-point.

Mike
Nothing is ever a total loss; it can always serve as a bad example.